- May 5, 2016
- October 20, 2015
- October 23, 2019
ISSF recognizes the commitment of the Parties to the Nauru Agreement (PNA) to the adoption of harvest control rules in the Western Central Pacific Fisheries Commission (WCPFC), their leadership in gaining Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certification of the free-school skipjack fishery, and the robust monitoring, control and surveillance (MCS) measures that are in place to ensure compliance, such as 100% observer coverage and vessel monitoring systems (VMS).
1. Exemptions for compliance with ISSF Conservation Measures 6.1 and 6.2(a) may be made for new large-scale purse seine vessels flagged to member countries of the PNA that meet all of the following conditions:
- The vessel is registered in the WCPFC record of authorized fishing vessels.
- The vessel fishes within the purse seine Vessel Day Scheme (VDS) management system.
- The vessel is not authorized to fish outside the WCPFC Convention Area.
2. Large-scale purse seine vessels exempted under this measure will be listed on the ISSF Record of Large-Scale Purse Seine Vessels.
3. If a large-scale purse seine vessel is granted an exemption under this CM, it must then apply to be listed on the PVR.
For the purposes of this measure, large-scale purse seine vessels are those with at least 335 m3 fish hold volume.